How can I buy a SIM card in Dubai?
Your normal mobile phone can be used in Dubai if you have a roaming service with your sim provider company. As you are aware of the roaming cost are increased may be doubled or tripled of your normal tariff. There is a cheaper way to use you phone in Dubai. At Dubai Airport you can buy a visitor sim card which is sold by either Etisalat or Du, the two local telecoms operators. It allows you to have a UAE mobile phone number charged at local rates. The biggest difference between the two operators is that du charges by the second, while Etisalat charges per minute usage.
Here is a quick overview of the both services:
- You can buy the visitor Mobile Sim at Dubai Airport Arrivals or Dubai Duty Free area.
- You can also visit any outlet in Dubai or any of the retail shops that sell on their behalf.
- The person should be 18 years or above.
- You need to provide a copy of your passport, and pay an activation fee of 60 Dirhams, this will include 25 Dirham credit.
- 2 x one-minute out of credit calls are given for emergency use.
- The sim is valid for 90 days but you can renew it every time you Visit Dubai, so you keep the same number.