Where to recycle in Downtown Dubai?

recycling
waste
environment
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f54d1372b98> #<Tag:0x00007f54d1372940> #<Tag:0x00007f54d1372698>

(Tomoo Machiba) #1

Where to recycle in Downtown? My flat provdes only for plastic bottles, cans and paper, but I would like to find for glasses and other plastics.

(Abdullah Al Khalaf) #2

Hi @Tomoo, many residents and expats are finding such difficulty recycling in Dubai. Unfortunately there’s not yet one definitive list of all recycling spots across Dubai. Yes, the Dubai Municipality is pushing some “My City … My Environment” initiative since 2012, but the progress is very little and too slow.

So far they’ve completed only Phase II (areas such as Jumeirah 1, 2 and 3, Al Safa 1 and 2, Umm Suqeim 1 and 2, Al Manara, Umm Sheif and Al Barsha 2 and 3) and in October 2016 they are just launching Phase III in partnership with Averda waste management company that will cover just Muhaisina, Nadd Al Hamr and Al Mizhar areas.

To the best of my knowledge here are some recycling points I’ve seen:

Plastic Paper Cardboard Glass Cans Clothes
Al Quoz Oasis Centre Mall YES YES - - - -
Arabian Ranches Retail Centre YES YES - YES YES YES
Dubai Marina Promenade YES YES - YES - -
Emirates Hills Meadows Village YES YES - - YES -
Nad Al Sheba YES YES YES - YES -
Rashidiya Shopping Centre YES YES YES - YES -
Safa Park YES YES YES - YES -
The Beach, The Walk, JBR YES YES - - - -
The Greens Village Shops YES YES - YES YES -
Various Spinneys Stores YES YES - - YES -

If you live outside of these areas, you could sign up for Green Truck Recycling, a private collection service that’ll pick up a bin of your materials every week. You can leave out paper, plastic, glass, metal, can and used and broken electronics as part of the Dhs100 a month subscription.

There’s was also Home Cycle, a free collection service that you could sign up for. Currently their operations were put on hold:

(Michelle Gjerde) #3

Why are they so few glass recycling drop off points? Is it less desirable or more difficult to recycle?

It’s such a pity that recycling is so inaccessible here… I reached out to a company called Green Truck some time ago and the reason I got refused was that Dubai Marina was way out of their route!!